Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mangroves and such...

Had a couple of questions about some mangroves I'm trying to put on my beach.  Like many things about living here, this is an experiment for me as I don't know much about mangroves.  But here are a few pics and some of my thoughts...


I don’t much about mangroves but started trying to transplant some seedlings a few weeks ago.  Purpose is to preserve the beach and keep some vegetation for the wildlife.  From a bit to my north side of the seashore to a long ways to my south all the beach has been cleared.  So adding a few mangroves is high on my priority list.

I took a seedlings from an area thick with the trees and a friend gave me some she had.  I planted them about 12 feet above low tide line.  High tide gets close to the seedlings.  I piled sand and sea grass around them to try and protect from high tide and hot sun.

About 25% have survived and have some green as can be seen in the pics.  I plan to plant some more in the same area to try and get a root system strong enough to hold up in bad weather.  As that grows I’ll try and put some more closer to the sea line to keep building a root system.

We have had a fair amount of rain lately so I suspect that help.

If anyone has some seedlings near the peninsula I can get I will keep putting them in the ground.  If you have ideas on growing them here let me know.  In the meantime, I’ll keep anyone interested posted on how this is working out…








1 comment:

  1. The last [ic is a moringa I believe. It seems to die and come back again and again. But it doesnt grow much here...

    ReplyDelete